Thursday, August 9, 2007

Yellow Fish Road



Sorry about the lack of daily updates but I had been out of contact with the "real world" for the past week. It's very nice and relaxing being away from telephones and other "instant" communications.

Since I had spent sometime in nature, I thought today's photo is appropriate about the effect we can have upon the environment.

At first I didn't know what these yellow fish painted on the various roads in the West Ferris subdivision meant. I later learned that it is an initiative of Trout Unlimited Canada’s educational storm drain marking program. It is way to bring attention to the public that everything that goes down our storm drains (and sewers) ultimately finds it way into our rivers, streams, lakes and oceans and into our fish and food supplies.

They painted the fish on the streets near storm drains. We need to remember that even a simple thing as washing one's car can contribute to water quality problems as the runoff can directly enter our watersheds.

8 comments:

FĂ©nix - Bostonscapes said...

Hi! Welcome back.

Thank you for sharing the link. This nation-wide environmental education initiative is a wonderful thing.

Unknown said...

nice pic.

Joy said...

Exactly! People really should start paying more attention to how each of us impact the environment. Speaking of fish, I really hate it when people take a 'souvenir' from the beach - like shells or sand. Sorry, that's the scuba diver in me talking.

joy
The Goddess In You

Annie said...

Public awareness about this is definitely needed where I live. People think nothing about putting all kinds of poisons on their lawns.

b.c. said...

hello again! and thanks for this wonderful post about reminders we all need about protecting our resources...

travelphilippines said...

awwww pooor fish....

Z said...

A good reminder. In my opinion, as we've become more "developed" we've tended to move away from knowing about our environment, thinking of it as something to control and make do what we want it to. It's high time we all started thinking of the major consequences of our actions.

Neva said...

Welcome back! I love learning stuff like this. Nice picture. Glad you had a great time relaxing...me too.. .my computer was up exactly once and then the signal was gone....you know how those North Woods are! Hopefully I can post soon.