Friday, July 6, 2007

Royal Canadian Legion Branch 23



The Royal Canadian Legion is the largest veteran's organization in Canada. They have over 400,000 members and affiliates. They do a lot of wonderful work for the community besides being a comfort and meeting place for veterans. They are involved in sponsoring sporting events (Legion Track meets, hockey & baseball teams to name a few), public speaking contests and helping us to remember the ultimate sacrifice some Canadians have borne for our nation.

Branch 23 is located on 1st Ave W near the North Bay Cenotaph.

The flags are at half staff as Canada lost 6 service persons serving their country on July 4th, 2007 in Afghanistan.

Although this epitaph is not in North Bay, it is in another wonderful city in Northern Ontario (Sault Ste. Marie). It is the inscription on the Cenotaph located on Queen St East in the Soo that was written by Rudyard Kipling in 1925:

From little towns, in a far land, we came,
to save our honour and a world aflame;
by little towns, in a far land, we sleep,
and trust those things we won
to you to keep.

6 comments:

Dina said...

I see the flag is at half post. Does that mean they're mourning for someone?

Unknown said...

nice image, great poem too!

magiceye said...

the sombre mood comes through effectively

Lavenderlady said...

My Dad belonged to the American legion. I think they are both great organizations.

Anonymous said...

My rating for branch #23 isn't good. A couple of days ago I called for a table for the up coming craft show and they said early payment would guarantee me a table. Well, the craft show is only on the 29th of October, so, I had a chance to go in and pay it today, October 20th, because I live half hour away from North Bay and I was told my table was sold!! They could of at least had the descency to call me and ask if I still wanted it. Not impressed with the legion whatsoever!!! Thanks alot and now stuck with a bunch of handmade jewellery!!

Anonymous said...

My rating for branch #23 isn't good. A couple of days ago I called for a table for the up coming craft show and they said early payment would guarantee me a table. Well, the craft show is only on the 29th of October, so, I had a chance to go in and pay it today, October 20th, because I live half hour away from North Bay and I was told my table was sold!! They could of at least had the descency to call me and ask if I still wanted it. Not impressed with the legion whatsoever!!! Thanks alot and now stuck with a bunch of handmade jewellery!!